1992 Mercedes Benz 500E
Only 25k Original Miles!
VIDEO WITH LISTING
Black Pearl Metallic / Grey Leather
We are selling this beautiful 500E on behalf of the original owner, a Chicago-based collector and enthusiast. He purchased the car new from Loeber Motors in Lincolnwood, IL as a daily driver for his wife. Shortly after that, his wife asked him to trade the 500E in for a 300E, as she thought the car was too fast. As an enthusiast who recognized the significance of the 500E model, he did not trade in the car. Rather, he got her a 300E and held onto the 500E as a weekend car. He used it a handful of times each year, accumulating only 25k miles over the course of his 26 year ownership. As it sits, this an extremely well-presented, one-owner, low mileage example. Truly collector-level. This car is so unmolested that the plastic on the sill inside the rear door is still in place! The car will be sold with all original books and manuals as well as the complete original toolkit still in the plastic.
- Please see the video with the listing, as every blemish on the car is shown close-up and in direct sunlight. There sure aren't many. There are a few scuffs on the very bottom of the front valance, as well as a small nick on the rear corner of the passenger quarter. No door dings. Original paint presents phenomenally well. Again, please defer to the video.
- Wheels and tires are in excellent shape. No curb rash or discoloring. Michelin tires were new in 2016 and are in like-new condition.
- Glass and light lenses are all clear and crack-free.
- Body panels are all original with VIN stickers
- Interior is extremely nice. The radio has been swapped out for a Kenwood unit, but other than that the interior presents as factory. Dash is mint, faux wood inserts show no hairline cracks or damage.
- Grey carpeting is in nice shape, car will also come with its original grey MB floormats.
- Gauges are all functional. As is heat, AC, radio, windows, locks, rear shade, sunroof, etc. All powered systems work as they should. Odometer reads 25,579 and is functional and accurate.
- Seats are in fantastic shape. Driver's outer bolster has some very slight wear, as shown close-up in the video, passenger is excellent. Rear seats look to have seldom been used, as they appear like-new. In the photo of the rear seat on the driver's side you may note what looks like a stain the center of the seatback; we have since gotten that out.
Under the Hood / Underbody:
- Please take a look through the underbody photos, as the car is documented in detail. The underbody is in nice shape, as the car has been garage kept since it was new. The heat shields around the exhaust show some rusting, but the body itself is excellent with no rust or damage whatsoever.
- This car runs and drives phenomenally well. The huge reputation the 500E has garnered as one of the all-time great high-speed cruisers is very much justified. The car is extremely comfortable and dead silent inside the cabin; the build quality is evident immediately upon getting in. At just 25k original miles, this car has never required much more of a service than fluids and tires. Those items have been addressed periodically as they should, and the car truly drives like-new. There are absolutely no noises or tendencies of concern. Wouldn't hesitate to drive the car across the country tomorrow (and would love to do so!).
- The 5.0L M119 used in the 500E (1992-1994) was actually most powerful in 1992, as the 93 and 94 cars has 7hp less. Power delivery is smooth and effortless. Quoted figures are 322hp and 354lbft, big numbers for an early-90s sedan.
Overall, this is an extraordinary example of a fantastic, historically-significant, quickly-appreciating model. This car fits the bill as both the ultimate daily-driver, or even a prize-worthy collection piece. With any further questions, requests, or to discuss purchasing, please reach out to Jake at 773-267-2684.