TA21 Drophead Coupe by Tickford
Call For Price
-Rare Left Hand Drive
The Alvis type TA21 was announced in 1950, looking much like its TA14 predecessor but featuring independent front suspension and a new, overhead-valve, six cylinder, three litre engine. Styled along classic, pre-war lines, the Three Litre was reckoned by Autocar magazine to appeal to 'discerning owners who appreciate quality and good handling as well as performance.' Additions to the range of models were not long in coming; a sports two-seater and a Tickford bodied two-door drophead coupé being announced for the 1951 season. The introduction of open-top models was calculated to boost sales in the United States market where Alvis was beginning to make an impact. Perhaps the best thing about it is that many of the handling characteristics of the sportscar have been built into the chassis which, combined with a low centre of gravity and a reasonable amount of space, make this fine car something of a compromise suited to those who want both family car and sportscar features all in one.
Tickford built 302 dropheads and this is only one of 80 produced in Left Hand Drive. The total TA21 production is 1316.
This car was completed on February 4, 1952 and delivered to De Nederlandsche Motors Rotterdam with the following special features: Lucas headlamps, dip switch and pattress, Trico windscreen washer, Bonnet ventilators, polished wood cappings to screen pillars, twin carburetors and heat def., sun visors, new d/light levers, Kilo speedometer, and Dunlop tires.
It is reputed that the first owner was Pia Beck, a famous Dutch jazz pianist and singer. Besides being considered the "best Jazz pianist in the world" and performing for such dignitaries as General Eisenhower, Walter Cronkite, the British Royal Family, and Freddy Heineken, Pia Beck owned over 47 different cars in her lifetime with open sports cars her favorite. After Pia's ownership, the car went to the the Museum in the Netherlands, then was sold by the English car dealer Stephen Langton in 1987 to John Dela Bosco who exported it to Canada. In 1988, John had the car fully restored for his wife, Geri, who owned the car until 2014.
The car is finished in Willow Green with fawn leather interior and top. It is manual shift. Recently, the interior wood was refinished, the trunk reupholstered, a new top and boot installed, new Wilton carpeting installed and chrome redone as needed. The car comes with factory build sheets, and an extensive history and service file.
Download History file: Alvis History File