Bentley 1949 Mark VI Sedanca Coupe by Hooper
Completed December 12, 1949, this exceptional Mark VI was sold complete with all the spares, tools and accessories to the standard specification and fitted to a Hooper Sedanca Coupe body, finished in Dark Gold Dust and Amethyst with upholstery to match. Provisions specific to this car as requested by the Maharajah were as follows:
- Provision behind the rear seat for cameras, books, etc.
- Folding arm-rest in centre of rear seat fitted with shallow leather lined tray with cut glass toiletry articles with Silver top crests.
- One best quality hide suitcase.
- Two sterling silver sandwich boxes and four sterling silver beakers, all engraved with the Royal Arms of Mysore.
- Solid silver shields with Mysore Arms to both doors.
- Illuminated plaques to front and rear of car.
- Illuminated double-sided shield to roof of car.
- Special Echo C.R. 61 wireless set.
- Oil Bath Air Cleaner
- Providing and fitting a Perspex panel in roof with chromium plated handle.
- Special fuse and dust-proofing.
- Provision at back of bucket seats for two sterling silver thermos flasks and two sterling silver thermos jugs, all engraved with
Royal Arms of Mysore.
- Fitting and wiring an electric operator to nearside door, motor covered by metal cowl.
- Two chromium plated flagstaffs to front wings.
- Providing and fitting extra centra lamp with necessary brackets.
The invoice price of this special order car was 5,400 Pounds Sterling making it one of the costliest in the field at the time. This car's unique design by Hooper had a blend of sweeping curves and skillfully worked razor edge outlines. The most ingenious feature is the rear section of the roof lifts to allow the front panel to completely disappear.
The car was shipped to India where it remained until 1954 when it was returned to England for refurbishment at the Rolls-Royce factory. Here it was repainted in Sage Green over Napier Green. It then toured the continent before returning to India. In 1988, the car was shipped back to England where it was extensively serviced and the clutch was upgraded.
The car has been scrupoulously maintained and comes with a large documentation file with maintainance history.
- Engine Type
- Engine Size
- Fuel Specification
- Body Color
- Body Style
- Paint Type
- Mark VI
- Interior Color
- Secondary Interior Color
- Seating Type
- Seat Material
- Shifter Type