1991 MCI Canepa Design Bus Prototype
VIN #: 1TUGCH8A8LR007621
In 1990, MCI engaged Canepa Design to create a coach for their upscale clientele. Already known for their aero work on big rigs from Peterbilt and Kenworth, Bruce and his team set to work on creating an ultimate coach experience. Only two were ever built, one for Roger Penske and the second one for Bruce Canepa.
This coach has the most extensive exterior upgrade package of any MCI coach ever built, with over $350,000 invested to this point of completion. At the MCI factory the roof was raised 6" for additional head clearance, and a center door added for increased accessibility. Custom upgrades abound, including: a body kit valued at over $100,000 (see below for details,) a souped-up Detroit Diesel courtesy of Penske, suspension upgrades to eliminate body roll, and custom wheels and wheel covers. Exactly what you would expect of a bus designed by a racecar driver and engineer.
This is a brand new chassis and body. This bus has never been registered, and is currently under the manufacturer's Statement of Origin. The interior is conversion ready. The mileage reflects only the transportation from the manufacturing plant in Canada to MCI's research and development center in Roswell New Mexico, then to Detroit Diesel, and then to Canepa in California.
* Roof raised six inches over the standard MCI coach for increased head room.
* 40' x 102' Exterior
* 96" interior width
* Two custom roof access hatches
* Mid-ship side entrance door with integrated stainless steel stairs.
Canepa Design Custom Upgrades
* Custom Designed Aerodynamic Electric Operated Mirrors
* Custom Front Lower Nose Cap with Halogen Quad Head Lamps
* Composite Front Bumper Assembly, Lower Valance, Front and Rear Fender Assemblies and Rear Bumper
* Custom Upper Body Panel with Integrated Spoiler and Rear View Camera
* Custom Tail Light Assemblies
* Custom Fabricated Aluminum Radiator and Air Conditioner Intakes
* Full Perimeter Custom Built Stainless Steel Body Moldings
* All Hinges Recessed Into Body
* Auxiliary Air-intake Scoops
* Recessed Third Brake Light
* Aerodynamic Spun Aluminum Wheel Covers
* Deleted All Emblems, Scripts, etc.
* Custom Fabricated Trailer Hitch Assembly
* Over the road A/C system
* Air Ride Suspension
* Air Brakes
* 500 HP Detroit Diesel Engine
* Jacob's Engine Retarder
* Power Steering
* Full Instrumentation
* Allison Automatic Transmission
* Four Custom Built Radius Corner Dual-Pane Tinted Sliding Windows
* Aluminum Wheels
* 12R 22.5 Michelin Radial Tires
* Custom Torsion Bar Suspension Upgrade
* One inch of Fiberglass Insulation
* Pre-painted White Interior Paneling
* Custom Smooth Exterior Paneling