1951 MG TD Roadster
The common belief is that the name "M.G." stands for "Morris Garages". Whether or not this is true has been the subject of much debate over the years. While it is much easier to simply accept the most visually obvious answer to the issue, there is substantial evidence that it is not true. The other side of the argument states that M.G. stands for itself and is not an abbreviation, but rather a name in itself. Evidence for this argument is on the vehicle maker's plate which always state the full name of the company who built it. On every M.G. made, it states "The M.G. Car Company", never "The Morris Garages Car Company". Even looking back to the earliest days of M.G., one cannot find Morris Garages listed on any company letterhead or even in the very first M.G. Magazine of 1933.
For consignment a 1951 version of the TD. A good handling, fender and running board design, tall front grille and large open headlights, sums up the cosmetic part. As for the engine, 4 cylinders fire away inside an excellent restored engine compartment. The sound of this car can only be described as music to the British sports car enthusiast's ears.
The beneficiary of a 2003 restoration which included a work over of the engine, buttoning up the interior, and new paint for the time. Deep Red in beautiful condition covers the exterior surfaces of this car. Pre pony car, the long tall bonnet, vertical grille, radiator topper, and open headlights make up the front of the car, and a very short rear swoops toward the ground. The rear houses the 12-gallon fuel tank, and a spare tire. “Suicide” doors allow entry into the passenger compartment and are adorned with near perfect chromed handles and latches. Front and rear fenders are held together by a running board. Chrome bumpers, windshield surround, and radiator trim are in good shiny condition. Gray drilled steel wheels capped with MG badged dog dish covers are noted on all 4 corners. Also, a shout out to the side wind wings that hang off of either side of the flat windshield.
Black interior leather semi-bucket seats stretch the width of the cockpit. The handbrake nests between the two seats. A double swooping dash covered in mahogany veneer houses the glovebox, ignition, choke, starter, and various warning lights. These rest in a centered shield shaped tan trimmed in chrome gauge and light cluster. Behind the large tan banjo steering wheel, are a beautiful white faced speedometer and a tachometer with an inset clock. These emit a soothing warm tungsten lit glow at night. Black carpeting covers the floor and the rear baggage compartment and is in very nice condition. The frame for the convertible top is present, and a very nice black canvas is over this frame.
A pristinely restored 4-cylinder 1250cc engine with dual SU Carburetors and an oil bath air cleaner is seen inside a super clean engine compartment. An 8” clutch with a 4-speed manual transmission that shifts like a dream is attached to the back. Hoses are supple and shiny, and engine block is a nicely painted teal green.
A view of the underside of this car reveals a really nice restoration, nearly perfect with all looking virtually new with no rust. 4-wheel drum brakes are present, and all in working condition. Even body hangers and floorboards underneath are very nicely preserved, and present in a contrasting to the black red paint.
Its British so of course I shoehorned myself behind the large banjo style wheel, flipped 15 switches(sic) 2 knobs and pulled the choke and it fired right up for me. A smooth idler, it drives very easily, with short throw shifting, good handling, and smooth cruising. Visibility was just a bit sketchy due to driver position and that long hood, but one can easily become accustomed to driving this classic.
A top-notch restoration was done in 2003, there are a few faults in the paint and body, but a fine runner, and cracking good looking to boot! All the way from 1951 with no rust…nice.