1959 MG A Twin Cam
• Rare example of the limited production MG A Twin Cam
• California car with no rust, never wrecked, all original sheet metal
• Less than 35,000 miles on the odometer.
The MG A Twin Cam was an exciting attempt by MG in 1958 to create a more contemporary and competitive version of the classic MG A. Not only was a new, more powerful engine with twin overhead camshafts installed, the A received four wheel disc brakes and Dunlop center lock disc wheels. Twin Cams scored a number of victories for MG at events like LeMans and Sebring. Production lasted only until 1960 with just over 2,100 cars built. This is #1721.
On an engine dyno the engine puts out 120+ hp significantly better than the original 108 hp. The 4-cylinder engine features a mild race cam, Carrillo rods, slightly oversized valves and cylinders over bored .060 due to Carrillo rod design. The compression ratio is 9.9 to 1. The crankshaft was balanced during the last rebuild. The carbs are SU HD8s on a factory manifold. The water pump was rebuilt and a high torque starter added during this rebuild. Another racing feature is a factory tube type header with stainless steel exhaust. The racing distributor is from Aldon
The gearbox is stock but with close ratio gears and the MG B competition clutch mates to an aluminum flywheel. In the rear there is a limited slip differential.
For better handling the chassis has been lowered one inch with a Panhard bar in the rear and in front, a 7/8” sway bar.
For safety there is a removable roll bar that fits under the top and factory competition seats. There is also a fire suppression system. This car does not have a fuel cell, which most clubs now require.
When it comes to appearance this car is in beautiful condition. As a California car it has no rust and has never been wrecked. The paint is Porsche Indian Red.