The BMW 02 Series is a range of compact executive cars produced between 1966 and 1977, based on a shortened version of the New Class Sedans. The first 02 Series produced was the 1600-2 (later renamed 1602) in 1966.
The 1600-2, as the first "02 Series" BMW was designated, was an entry-level BMW, and was smaller, less expensive, and less well-appointed than the New Class Sedan on which it was based. BMW's design director Wilhelm Hofmeister assigned the two-door project to staff designers Georg Bertram and Manfred Rennen. The 9.1" shorter length and wheelbase and lighter weight of the two-door sedan made it more suitable than the original New Class sedan for sporting applications. As a result, the two door sedan became the basis of the sporting 02 Series.
Beginning in 1968, a convertible based on the 02 body was built by Karosserie Baur. A hatchback, called the Touring model, was developed from the 02 body, being available from 1971. Only 25,827 Touring models were sold, therefore the models were discontinued in 1974.
At the Paris Motor Show in 1969, BMW unveiled a fastback 2002 GT4 concept car. This model never reached production.
The 1.6 L M10 engine produced 84 HP at 5,700 rpm and 96 lb⋅ft of torque at 3,500 rpm. In 1968, Road & Track declared the $2676 1600 "a great automobile for the price"
A high performance version, the 1600 TI, was introduced in September 1967. With a compression ratio of 9.5:1 and the dual Solex PHH side-draft carburetor system from the 1800 TI, the 1600 TI produced 110 HP at 6,000 rpm. Curb weight for the 1600 TI is 2,116 lbs.
The 1600 TI was not sold in the United States, as it did not meet their emission standards.
Helmut Werner Bönsch, BMW's director of product planning, and Alex von Falkenhausen, designer of the M10 engine, each had a two-liter engine installed in a 1600-2 for their respective personal use. When they realized they had both made the same modification to their own cars, they prepared a joint proposal to BMW's board to manufacture a two-liter version of the 1600-2. At the same time, American importer Max Hoffman was asking BMW for a sporting version of the 02 series that could be sold in the United States.
As per the larger coupe and 4-door sedan models, the 2.0 engine was sold in two states of tune: the base single-carburetor 2002 producing 101 HP and the dual-carburetor high compression 2002 ti producing 89 119 HP. The 2002 Automatic, with the base engine and a ZF 3HP12 3 speed automatic transmission, became available in 1969.
Alpina is a Bavarian tuning company that focusses exclusively on BMW vehicles and in the late 1960s they released their first performance kit for the then-new 2002. Over the course of the 2002 production run there were 3 major Alpina tuning kits offered: the Alpina A1, the Alpina A2 (and A2S), and finally the A4 (and A4S). Exactly how many Alpina kits were fitted isn't known, but they were certainly rare.
This Alpina Tribute has been carefully upgraded and tuned front to back and top to bottom. With the body, interior, suspension, brakes, and drivetrain completely redone and upgraded. The "Pig Cheek" wheel well flares, Euro light treatment and Alpina badging make this 2002 a real head turner.
Features and upgrades include:
- Pig Cheek Early Alpina Fiber Flares
- Talbot Berlin Mirrors
- Bosch Nick Fogs
- Euro Bumpers
- New Front and Rear Glass
- European H4 Headlights (Hella)
- Italian Front Side Markers
- Rear LED Lights
- Hershmann Red Antenna
- Alpina Badging
- New Rubber Seals
- Nurburgring Light Weight Bucket Seats
- Alpina Four Gauge Pod
- Alpina Gauge Cluster
- Prototipo Steering Wheel (Alpina Engraved)
- Alpina Shift Knob
- Ronin Autowerks Roll-Bar
- Genuine Coco Mats
- Pedal Haus Pedals
- Vintage Hann Style sport handles
- New Carpet
- H&R Sport Springs
- Koni Adjustable Sport Shocks
- Wiecheras Front and Rear Strut Bar
- Front and Rear Ireland Adjustable Sway Bars
- Complete Urethane Bushing and Ball Joints
- 2002 TII Booster and Master Cylinder
- New Vented Front Disc Brakes
- New Rear Big Drums
- Braided Stainless Steel brake lines
- 13x8 Minilite Style Gold Wheels
- Second set of Alpina Wheels
- Vredestein Sprint Classics Tires 205/60/13
Engine / Performance
- 121 Performance Stroker Head
- Billet 292 Cam
- SS Intake and Exhaust Valves
- HD Rocker arms, Valve Springs and Retainers
- 123 Ignition Distributor
- Ireland Engineering Street/Track Tri-Y Headers – Ceramic Coated
- Weber 40 DOCE / Ireland Engineering Intake Manifold
- 2002ti Intake Air Box / Bored on both ends with MANN Filters
- 5 Speed Getrag 245 Transmission with New Heavy Duty Clutch
- Limited Slip 3.91 Differential
- BMW 3 Row Radiator
- Complete Silicon Hose Set
- 2” Exhaust System
This is one amazing 2002!!!
Great lease rates and Financing also available on any of our inventory!
Buy Sell Trade Consignments Welcome!
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-818-773-8181