The 1964 Imperials were the first designed entirely by Engel. Predictably, they bore a strong resemblance to the Lincoln Continental. The dashboards seemed more conventional because the squared-off steering wheel and electroluminescent dash lighting were gone, though the ribbon-style speedometer remained. A split grille returned after one year's absence, inspired by the 1955 model's appearance, and the faux spare tire bulge atop the trunk lid became squared-off and stylized. A central boss the fuel filler cap, covered with a large Imperial Eagle. Horizontal spear shaped housings in the rear held a taillight and back-up light. The defroster, always a popular option, was standard.
The base Imperial Custom model was dropped, with available body styles including a four-door hardtop offered in the Crown and LeBaron levels of trim, and a two-door hardtop and convertible only in the Crown level of trim. As a result, power windows were now standard on all Imperials. Imperial Crown coupes adopted the smaller style LeBaron "formal rear window" that had been introduced in 1960, and both body styles could now be ordered with a vinyl roof. A total of 23,295 Imperials were sold, making 1964 its second best year. A padded dash, power seats, power steering, power brakes, and head rests were standard on the convertible. A new option this year was an adjustable steering wheel.