FOUR / FOUR
Morgan 4/4 is an automobile which has been produced by the Morgan Motor Company since 1936. It was Morgan's first car with four wheels, the "4-4" (later "4/4") designation indicating that the model has four wheels and four cylinders. Earlier Morgans had been three-wheelers, typically with V-twin engines. Apart from a break during World War II (and the period March 1951 to September 1955) the 4/4 has been in continuous production from its debut right up to the present day. Engine capacity has increased from the 1,122 cc Coventry Climax engine in 1936 to a 1.8-litre Ford engine in 2004, although it is currently back down to 1,595 cc.
The original open two-seater 4-4 was introduced in 1936 and ended up being the most popular of the three body options available. 663 were built by 1939 and 249 more from 1946 to 1950, representing 53% of the overall production.
For the first years the car had a 1,122 cc Coventry Climax engine with 34 bhp (25 kW; 34 PS), superseded from 1939 by a Standard Special 1,267 cc overhead valve engine with 38.8 bhp (29 kW; 39 PS). A four-speed Meadows gearbox was used until 1938, then a Moss gearbox.