1984 Mercedes 500SEL Euro
German Market Car
Excellent Documentation – Import Docs, Service Receipts From New, Original Manuals
Only Two Owners From New
VIDEO WITH LISTING
Interior: Orion Grey Leather (258)
Paint: Anthracite Grey Metallic (172)
Built October 20th, 1983 and delivered new to Germany, this 500SEL was then imported by AV Fuel Corp of Ann Arbor, MI on behalf of their Production Supervisor. He daily drove the car as his company car until 1992, when he sold it to a gentleman just north of Detroit. The car remained with that second owner until we purchased the car earlier this year. This car has been adult owned, garage-kept, and meticulously maintained since it was new. As it sits now, this is a fantastic driver, daily-driver-ready, with just a handful of places where it's showing its age a bit.
- Please see the video along with the listing, as the car is shown in detail. Every blemish on the car is shown close-up and in direct sunlight.
- Glass and light lenses are all clear and crack-free. The car will also come with a new set of two taillights.
- Anthracite Grey Metallic is a fantastic color on these cars, and presents extremely well throughout. Paint is phenomenally well-preserved considering its age, and goes to show how responsibly this car has been owned and driven over the years.
- Wheels show their age, and should be refinished in order to really bring this car to the next level. Wheels aren't scuffed or damaged, they're just faded. Tires should be replaced sooner rather than later.
- Grey Orion Leather looks great with the grey metallic exterior. Seats are in decent shape, but are fairly deflated. The hand-controlled air pump for lumbar support is functional, but the seat bottoms are pretty well worn-in. There is a small tear on the driver's outer seat bolster.
- Grey carpeting is nice throughout, and the car will also come with a set of black MB floormats.
- Dash is in great shape. Very little for signs of wear. The “wood” inserts are in nice shape as well, with just a couple hairline cracks by the center console and window controls.
- Passenger front window switch is temperamental. Sunroof is functional.
- Air conditioning was converted to R134A in 2003 and most recently serviced in 2013. The compressor appears to be free, but the air conditioning does not blow cold. Heat, fan, defrost are functional.
- Becker Mexico turns on but asks for a radio code that we are not aware of. We do have all of the original manuals for both the car and radio, but cannot figure it out as the manuals are all in German.
- All lights inside and out are functional. Gauges are all functional as well. Odometer reads 166,520 miles and is functional and accurate.
Under the Hood / Underbody:
- Please take a look through the underbody photos, as it's documented in detail. Underbody is in excellent shape. No through rust whatsoever. No evidence of any leaks either, nice and dry. This car has been garage-kept and it shows. The only spots of rust on the car are shown in the video, at the forwardmost point of the rocker panels, though this is just surface rust.
- This car is turn-key. A ready driver. Absolutely no on-road tendencies of concern, very nicely-sorted. It starts right up first turn, gets up to speed effortlessly, brakes well, and the steering is nice and direct. The car tracks straight under both acceleration and braking, and the ride quality is absolutely superb. This drives just like the executive luxury sedan it was intended to be. It has quite of bit of power, but cruises down the road in silent, uneventful form. 166k miles is barely broken in on these cars! The door-close is extremely solid and satisfying; the build quality of Mercedes in the mid-80s was just fantastic.
This European-market 500SEL, with its well-documented ownership and service history, great spec, and rust-free underbody, has a long, long life ahead of it. This would make an excellent cool-car-on-a-budget daily driver. With any further questions, requests, or to discuss purchasing, please reach out to Jake at 773-267-2684.